We polled heads at Radio Rehab, Charlotte’s monthly adult hip hop party, for their favorite female emcees of all time. Heavy weights MC Lyte, Latifah and Lauryn Hill topped the list, but we got a few curveballs thrown in that made us say, Oh yeah!
Competition was tight, with a number of 3- and 4-way ties, but the closer we got to No. 1, a single lady’s name came up again and again.
5. Monie Love / Lil’ Kim / Heather B / Ladybug
4. Mia X / Roxanne Shante / Rah Digga / Da Brat : Everyone needs to let off steam once in a while, and this category clearly fills that requirement. Whether at a party or about to get at somebody, these were the chicks to bump.
3. Bahamadia / Yo-Yo : Epic clash between East v. West, Conscious v. Gangster, Natural v. Extensions!!
2. Queen Latifah / Lauryn Hill : We like guidance and teachers for the No. 2 spot.
1. MC Lyte : You really thought it would be anyone else?
Agree or disagree? Who do you think should have made the cut?